SWSP6123 Research Methods
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
a. Articulate the components required to undertake a research project.
b. Develop and write a research proposal or ethics application, and conduct a literature review.
c. Evaluate ethical issues and ethical guidelines for conducting social work research.
d. Analyse the socio-political and cultural context for undertaking research and its influence on the policy process.
Assessment 1 Criteria
1. Demonstrated understanding of the concepts and principles covered in the readings, lectures and tutorials
2. Application of the key research knowledges to case study scenarios
3. Clearly expressed ideas and concepts
You are required to:
(a) systematically search academic databases for articles detailing academic research relating to your chosen topic;
(b) appraise this literature and synthesize the overall literature;
(c) write a literature review of a type that suits your research question.
Students should use the following framework to complete each literature review:
1. Correctly cite journal articles and texts using APA (7 th edition) referencing style
2. Clearly identify the methodology that your review is based on
3. Synthesize, discuss and critically appraise the reviewed literature
4. Clearly highlight the gap in the research that your proposed project will address
Assessment 2 Criteria
1. Demonstrates capacity to systematically search for sufficient scholarly articles for a research project on a well-defined topic (benchmark is 15-20 articles)
2. Demonstrates an understanding of methodological conventions of a literature review for research including the form of literature review undertaken and style conventions for a literature review
3. Demonstrates the capacity to synthesize, discuss and critically appraise (where appropriate) the reviewed literature.
4. Provides evidence of critical thinking about how the information presented relates to your own research topic including research findings, research methods and methodologies and identifies a gap in the literature for own investigation
5. Demonstrates correct use of APA (7 th edition) referencing style
6. Shows capacity to write in an appropriate scholarly style, with attention to grammar,punctuation and spelling
Our essay writers will gladly help you with: