SITHCCC006 Prepare Appetisers and Salads
The purpose of this assessment is to assess your knowledge to complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit in the context of the job role;
1. culinary terms and trade names for ingredients commonly used in the production of different appetisers and salads
2. contents of stock date codes and rotation labels and their implication for food quality standards
3. characteristics of different appetisers and salads:
o appearance and presentation
o classical and contemporary variations
o freshness and other quality indicators
o nutritional value
o service style
4. quality indicators for appetisers and salads
5. cookery methods for appetisers and salads
6. dressings, sauces and garnishes for salads
7. mise en place requirements for appetisers and salads
8. appropriate environmental conditions for storing appetiser and salad products to:
o ensure food safety
o optimise shelf life
9. safe operational practices using essential functions and features of equipment used to produce appetisers and salads.
Instructions for assessment including WHS requirements
To demonstrate competence you must correctly answer all questions. Any shortfalls or wrong responses may be followed up by your trainer in verbal, written or practical instance. If more space is required for any answer you may attach a separate page containing your ID number, your name, unit title, unit code and the assessment task number and attach this page with the current assessment task before submission or alternatively use the back of each paper with a clear reference to the relevant question.
1. What are the definitions for the following variations of appetisers?
III. Amuse bouche
IV. Hors d’œuvre
2. Provide 5 examples for common Work, Health and Safety and Hygiene which apply when using equipment:
3. Provide 5 examples of equipment which can be used to decorate, garnish and portion canapés in a uniform and clean manner:
4. Provide 7 examples of cold canapés with suitable toppings and garnishes:
5. The variety and menu examples of hot canapés are almost unlimited. List 6 important general rules you should consider when choosing ingredients, accompaniments, cookery methods and service provisions for hot canapés:
6. What is the role of hors d’ieuvre in modern Australia and, traditionally, in French cuisine?
7. What is the origin and meaning of the term “tapas”? Provide 6 examples of typical tapas and how these are often served:
8. Provide atleast 1 examples of appetisers from each of 5 Asian countries: India, China, Japan, Thailand and Vietnamese
9. List 5 points which need to be considered when planning an appetiser:
10. List 6 aspects which need to be addressed prior to service to ensure timely and efficient procedures when serving food:
11. Provide 5 examples of how you could vary textures in a dish, relevant to appetisers and entrées:
12. What are the key aspects which need to be considered to meet hygiene aspects, clientele requirements, garnishes, efficiency of service and
freshness of appetisers?
13. Provide a definition for the following salad classifications and include 2 menu examples for each:
a. Simple salads
b. Compound salads
c. Warm salads
14. Provide 5 points of care for hygiene, handling, preparation, nutritional value, storage and service of salad leaves and vegetables:
15. What are the roles of dressings, sauces, dips and relishes when serving appetisers and salads?
Provide examples for each type:
16. What are the key ingredients for dressings, sauces, dips and relishes? What can be done to vary or mellow their flavour?
17. Which aspects should be considered when using oils for various menu applications?
18. What are the beneficial health effects of olive oil?
19. Provide 7 examples of vinegars and a menu application for each type:
20. What are the important properties of mustards in cooking processes and for use in dressings and emulsion sauces?
21. How could you modify a recipe for a salad dressing to suit a low fat diet?
22. Provide 3 examples of dairy based dressings and provide menu applications for these:
23. What are the common hygiene requirements for appetisers and salads to avoid any contamination risks?
24. What are the common requirements for storing and labelling salads, dressings and appetisers?
Our essay writers will gladly help you with: