Proposal Memo to the Decision-maker
Task: You will complete the following:
o Identify the decision-maker or group of decision-makers to whom you will write
o Consider the secondary research you conducted on your topic for writing
o Consider what primary research you will need to conduct for your research-based
o Write a proposal memo to your decision-maker asking for permission to conduct
• Length: 800-1100 words
• Format: A template for the memo is provided on page 2.
This proposal memo is a preliminary step you take prior to writing your final paper, which is the
research-based report (writing assignment #4). Your final paper in WRTG 394 will be a report
in which you:
• define a problem in your workplace or community persuasively and accurately.
• propose a solution or solutions to the problem or issue.
As part of defining the problem and proposing a solution, you must conduct primary research.
You might also need to conduct some additional secondary research. In Writing Assignment #3,
the proposal to conduct research, you are persuading a decision-maker or group of decisionmakers to authorize you to begin conducting this research that will end up in your final report.
The main purposes of the research proposal memo are to accomplish the following:
• Demonstrate that the problem you’ve identified for Project #4 is significant enough to
• Present a feasible plan or blueprint for your research.
• Set forth potential benefits to the organization or community from the research that
justify the use of time and resources.
Our essay writers will gladly help you with: