MG3113-Business Ethics Environmental Sustainability and Governance
Description Of The Assessment
This coursework has two sections. You are expected to write two essays. The first essay is based on an ethical dilemma case followed by three questions. Your essay should reflect all three questions. In the second essay, you are expected to write an essay on Stakeholder Theory in the context of Globalization and Sustainability.
Section A: Case Evaluation
S&J is a UK based medium-sized listed company that sells hard landscaping goods. The company employs 150 people. A few years ago, S&J began to import a particular type of garden paving stone as a cheaper alternative to the traditional product sourced in the UK to meet customer demand. Their main supply comes from country X, a developing country in which the majority of the people live in abject poverty. These cheaper alternative paving stones became company’s bestselling product in a short time period and helped the company to recover from the financial crisis it was suffering couple of years ago.
On the whole, S&J has been happy with the quality of the imported stone and the suppliers have shown themselves very forthcoming in drawing up arrangements to guarantee the supply. However, six months ago, one of S&J’s directors received an email from an NGO with an attached report documenting the widespread practice of employing children in the quarries of country X, even though child labour is officially illegal in X. The report also states that a significant number of these children are thought to be no older than 13 and they would often work without protective gear. The director simply ignored the NGO’s email thinking that it could be exaggerated and was not his company’s concern.
Couple of weeks ago, the director came across an internet-based campaign promoted by the same NGO inviting UK based companies to take proper action against the issue of using child labour in country X. The campaign also mentions the names of the UK companies doing business with stone quarry companies in country X. Worried about the findings of the report he read on internet, the director instigated an audit of his suppliers’ quarries and found that there were indeed children working there. However, he could not help himself saying “why this is our problem?”. Approved BBS Coursework Brief
1. Read the above case carefully and identify the main stakeholders and ethical issues around them.
2. Evaluate the above case using TWO ethical theories of your choice (i.e. Kantianism, Utilitarianism, Ethics of Rights and Justice, or Virtue ethics). Your answers should include criticism and comparison of the ethical theories used.
3. What would you do as the director of S&J ?J? Justify your answer.
Section B: Individual Essay On Stakeholder Theory:
Write an essay on the development of Stakeholder Theory in the context of Globalization and Sustainability.
This is an individual based assignment with two sections.
In the first section, you are expected to write an essay (1500 words) that evaluates the above business case particularly focusing on three area:
1. Identifying the main stakeholders and ethical issues around them.
2. Evaluating the above case using TWO ethical theories of your choice (i.e. Kantianism, Utilitarianism, Ethics of Rights and Justice, or Virtue ethics). Your answers should include criticism and comparison of the ethical theories used.
3. What would you do as a director? Justify your answer. Above questions could be a good structure for your essay. In the second section, you are expected to write an essay (1000 words) that captures followings:
1. Emergence of Stakeholder Theory.
2. How does Globalization influence different stakeholders?
Our essay writers will gladly help you with: