Class Challenges Information
Hendrik du Toit (CEO Investec Asset Management) outlines the international context of financial asset management. Assuming that Hendrik is correct in his assessment for the world economy into the future, what are the 4 main impacts of this financial context on infrastructure asset management (1000 word paper, including 4 key impacts).
Note: The expectation for your activities are as follows:
1. View you tube video;
2. Prepare draft paper by testing out your thoughts with your peers on the discussion boards in the weekly materials;
Class challenge 2:
You are the asset manager for Acme Utilities and you are concerned about maintaining a sound strategic direction for asset management within the organisation. Last year, Deightons DTMS software was adopted by Acme Utilities as its asset management platform, and Phase 1 implementation of the system is scheduled to be completed in the next six months.
You have recently discovered that the Capital Projects group of Acme Utilities has implemented Autodesk’s BIM360 Field for site and project management of capital projects.
You are aware from previous experience that planning for the interface between capital projects and asset management requires good planning (as illustrated in the rail example (Figure 1, Week 1 content). Both software platforms are a significant step forward for the respective groups within the organisation, and while they provide many benefits and opportunities, they also provide a number of challenges to long term asset management outcomes.
You must prepare a (1000 word) memo to the General Manager explaining your concerns, and your recommendations to address these concerns.
Your memo should specifically address:
1. Benefits and opportunities of the current situation;
2. Risks and challenges associated with the current situation;
3. Recommendations to ensure that appropriate asset information is not
“lost in the system”;
4. Recommendations to ensure that AM decision making retains a strategic focus, and benefits from these information innovations.
Class Challenge 3:
Coca Cola made the decision on 1 June 2017 to acquire Sunshine Sugar based in Northern NSW as part of a strategic move to secure their supply chain. While the rationale for the acquisition was strategic, the Sunshine Sugar entity is still expected to contribute to the financial outcome of the group. At the time of acquisition, Sunshine Sugar had approved budgets for revenue and expenditure to June 2018, and forecasts to June 2019. These budgets and forecasts have been incorporated into the consolidated group figures.
The Risk and Audit Committee of the Coca Cola Board recommended that a detailed risk review of the Sunshine Sugar budgets and forecasts be undertaken, so that any potential impacts on the consolidated group financials can be understood. As part of this process the Board has requested that a desktop asset risk review of Sunshine Sugar be undertaken. As a senior asset manager in Coca Cola, this task has been delegated to you. The board has requested that the plan for this asset review be considered at its September board meeting, and subject to approval, the Desk top review is to be reported at the December board meeting. The Desk Top Asset Risk Review Plan is to be limited to 1000 words with accompanying Gannt Chart and must address:
1. Context issues;
2. Resource requirements;
3. Methodology for the review;
4. Review schedule;
5. Key areas of concern/issues for consideration (considering context);
6. List of specific anticipated findings that may generate concern regarding Sunshine Sugar asset management practices (key items to be investigated).
Each Challenge in Assessment 1 will be able to achieve 15% of the Unit mark, on the basis of the following:
• Clearly stated recommendations and conclusions (3 marks)
• Well-argued basis for position (2 marks)
• Critical analysis and evaluation (3 marks)
• Professional writing standard (2 marks)
• Consideration of stakeholder/people issues (2marks)
• Referencing to Frameworks/source material e.g. AS ISO & IPWEA (3 marks).
Our essay writers will gladly help you with: