Thank you for your interest in Unitec! We hope this flyer helps you write your Statement of Purpose (SOP), which
we look forward to seeing soon.
We suggest you look at our website (www.intprogrammes.unitec.ac.nz) or the International Prospectus, to make
sure you know what the programme is called and whether it is relevant to you, if you have not already done this.
Who can write my SOP?
SOPs must be written by the student applying for the programme.
Can I copy the SOP or ask someone else to write it for me?
No – it is very important that you write your own statement. Do not ask a friend, agent, or family member to do
it for you, and please do not copy paragraphs from Unitec or other websites. We want to know why you want to
study with us, and only you can tell us this.
Why do I have to write an SOP?
Mainly to help Unitec understand why you are applying for the programme you selected, and whether it is likely
to meet your needs. The SOP does not affect whether you meet the general entry requirements.
What do I need to include in my SOP?
• Your name (and your Unitec ID number if you have it)
• The Unitec programme you want to study (we cannot proceed if your SOP is about another institution or
a programme we do not offer)
• Your motivation for applying – in other words,
– what interests you about this programme or area of study?
– what do you hope to get out of your study?
• Some thoughts about your future plans – you could tell us about
– further study you might be planning to do after completing this programme
– whether you want to work in NZ (or in another country) afterwards
– what kind of work you think you might like to do
Is there anything I should NOT put in my SOP?
Please do NOT include the following:
• Paragraphs or lists of courses from Unitec’s website (or other websites promoting NZ)
• Paragraphs copied from SOPs other students have written
• You can mention your work experience if relevant, but full details should go on your CV or resumé
How long does my SOP need to be?
One page(about 3-4 paragraphs) is enough, if you give us the information we are asking for in these guidelines.
Our essay writers will gladly help you with: