BUSD2018 Business Values and Ethics
Your Team will review the case which was provided to you and determine your stance on this ethical dilemma. Where appropriate, use credible external sources to support your position. You must not only state a clear ethical position, but provide a convincing and effective defense that incorporates evidence and arguments against other perspectives.
Please ensure that you properly cite your sources using APA (7th edition) citation style. Failure to properly cite your sources is plagiarism (which is grounds for academic misconduct) and will result in a mark of zero. Your Case will be graded out of 50 marks using the Rubric – Case Study (below) as a guide.
How to Submit Your Assignment
1. Submit case study as a MS Word document using the following naming convention (Case Study Submission – Team Designation. doc). Remember to include all group members’ names on your submission. Only one submission is required per group.
2. Remember to proofread your work, e.g., grammar and syntax, and include your references on your last page in APA format.
3. Select the Add Submission button at the bottom of this screen.
4. Select the Add… option and select the file you wish to submit, or drag-and-drop your file as indicated. When you are ready, select Save changes.
Roxanne had reservations about the corporate giving program—in particular, about the annual United Way campaign. Firstly, she did not agree with the purposes of some of the charities covered by United Way.
Secondly, she preferred to contribute directly to the charities she supported and whose aims she endorsed. Lastly, she felt pressure from supervisors and peers to contribute. This last reservation caused Roxanne some anxiety. She had been reading in the newspaper about workplace charity drives. A poll of readers of The Globe and Mail found that 51 percent liked to support charity drives, 36 percent preferred to make their donations privately, and 13 percent felt pressured to contribute. Obviously Roxanne was not alone in her concern. Roxanne felt very uneasy about her direct supervisor heading up the campaign in her department. Although the actual canvassing was done by peers. she still felt pressure and anxiety. She was not sure how to say no or what excuse to make.
She wondered if anyone would believe a statement that she had already used up her “charitable budget.” Also, she was not sure how others would feel when she stated that she should he able to give to the charities she preferred and in private. Even more troublesome was her concern about how saying no would impact her career. the campaign made her very uncomfortable and she was even feeling guilty. Fun campaign activities were organized in the office and it was obvious to all when she did not attend. Also, the office had a goal to raise $5.000 and she was not contributing as expected of team members. Roxanne faced a dilemma and did not know what to do.
Questions I. What are the pros and cons of workplace charity drives?
What are the issues involved?
2. Does Roxanne have an ethical dilemma? State what it is.
3. What ethical principles (from 0 Chapter 5) might she use to analyze the dilemma?
4. What should Roxanne do?
Our essay writers will gladly help you with: