APA Scavenger Hunt Worksheet Example
APA Scavenger Hunt Worksheet
CLICK HERE FOR A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO EDIT THIS DOCUMENT
Page Numbers of Answer and Example (if available in the sample paper)
1. List the elements of a title page.
To get you started on this scavenger hunt – here is the first answer.
Running head (with page number), title, byline, and institutional affiliation
Pages 23-24; 41 (sample paper) 1
2. Describe the format and location for the Running head. typed flush left at the top of the title page P.229-230 1
3. Describe the format and location for the title.
The title should be typed in uppercase and lowercase letters, centered between the left and right margins and positioned in the upper half of the page. If the title is two or more lines, double-space between the lines.
4. Describe what a byline is, how it should be typed and how to include more than one author.
Names of the authors should be typed in the order of their contributions using uppercase and lowercase letters, centered between the side margins, one double-spaced line below the title. Type the institutional affiliation, centered under author’s name, on the next double-spaced line. P.3
5. What is your institutional affiliation? How should it be typed?
centered under author’s name, on the next double-spaced line. P.23
6. Where is the page header located? What format is prescribed?
The name of the title of the article and it goes at the top of each page displayed or printed
Body of Paper/General Formatting Rules
7. The manual contains a miniaturized “picture” of sample papers with title page, narrative and a reference list. How can you use this for your papers?
Title page à abstract à text à references à tables à figures à appendices
8. Margins: What setting is prescribed for margins in the body of text and reference page?
Uniform margins at least 1 inch, double spaced text, flush left style with right margin uneven P.229
1) How many spaces between lines should appear in the body of the text and references?
2) How many spaces are used in text after a comma, colon, semicolons, punctuation marks at the end of a sentence, periods in a reference citation, or periods after initials in a personal name? (Hint: The answer is the same for all).
1.) Double spacing.
2.) One space
10. Font & Typeface: What is the acceptable font size and typeface?
Times new roman with 12 pt. font size P.228
11. Levels of Heading: What format is used for a Level 1 and Level 3 heading?
Level 1: the first heading is “Literature Overview,” so it goes at Level 1. Your writing style and subject matter will determine what your first heading will be.
Level 3: headings are indented, followed by a period, and run in with the text that follows.
12. Is it allowed in APA for the author to refer to self by using the pronoun “I”?
Yes. you can use the first-person point of view when discussing your research steps
Citations, Quotations and References List
13. In-text Citations: What is an in-text citation and how is it formatted?
is to help readers easily find the sources in the Works Cited page that correspond to your referenced passage
14. When do you use “and” to join the authors and when do you use “&” to join the authors in a citation?
Citation is when you credit a work for your influences and information you drew from to write your paper. And is used when just joining 2 authors. p.169
15. Quotations: How are quotations with fewer than 40 words formatted?
When quoting, what must always be included with the quote?
Place direct quotations longer than 40 words in a free-standing block of typewritten lines and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, indented five spaces from the left margin
16. References: What is the purpose of a reference list?
it provides the information necessary for a reader to locate and retrieve any source you cite in the body of the paper.
17. What does “agreement of text and reference list” mean?
APA style suggests using a reference list for references cited in the text of a paper rather than a bibliography. A reference list includes only those references which were cited in the text of one’s paper. There must be total agreement between the two
18. How are references ordered in the reference list? Do you double space?
Alphabetical order. No
19. In the reference list, what is the acceptable abbreviation for “edition,” “Editor,” “Editors,” “page,” “pages,” and “no date?” edition: ed.
no date: n.d
20. What rule governs whether a state is given in the reference list publisher location?
USA publishers give the city in full and the abbreviation for the state.
21. How do you cite a work discussed in a secondary source? Provide answers for both in-text and on the reference page?
In-text: (last name, date of year).
Reference list: (last name, first initial).
22. Format Examples for References
For the following types of references, locate the page(s) with the examples of how to format the references in the next column.
List page(s) where you can find examples of how to format references for the following:
page #/s: __ Journal article with two authors (paper form)
page #/s: __ Journal article with two authors (electronic version)
page #/s: __ Entire Book
page #/s: __ Chapter in an edited book
page #/s: __ Non-periodical documents on the internet
23. doi Numbers
Describe what a doi is and where and when a doi number can be used.
Alphanumeric string assigned by a registration agency to identify content and provide a link to its location on the internet. Include for both print and electronic sources.
24. Semi colon
Where can you find a description of a semi colon is and how to use it correctly! What is it?
a semicolon should be used to separate two independent clauses (or complete sentences) that are closely related in meaning.
25. Protection of research participants
Where can you find information about protecting the rights and welfare of research participants? What standards are psychologists held to? What is the most recent publication year of this document?
Chapter 1, Section 11
Total Points: /25
Our essay writers will gladly help you with: